on International Religious Freedom
Wednesday, April 18, 2018
9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Government Publishing Office
732 North Capitol Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20401
Speakers included: Former USCIRF Chairs Robbie George, Katrina Lantos Swett, Leonard Leo, and Rabbi David Saperstein; members of Congress; former Representative Frank Wolf; and Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom Sam Brownback, among others.
Introduction by USCIRF Chairman Daniel Mark – 9:30 am – 9:35 am
Plenary: State of International Religious Freedom – 9:35 am – 10:35 am
Former USCIRF Chairs will discuss a “state of the union” of international religious freedom. Panelists will look back and look forward – focusing on challenges and progress. Moderated by Chairman Daniel Mark.
Former USCIRF Chairs: Robert George, Katrina Lantos Swett, Leonard Leo, and Rabbi David Saperstein.
Break: 10:35 am – 10:45 am
- Strategies to Make Positive Change – 10:45 am – 11:30 am
Moderated by Commissioner Cliff May
- Women and Religious Freedom: Farahnaz Ispahani, Wilson Center Global Fellow
- Sanctions: Richard Goldberg, Senior Advisor, Foundation for Defense of Democracies
- Working with the Media: Tom Gallagher, CEO and Publisher, Religion News Service
- Interacting with the U.S. government – IRF 2.0: Sharon Payt, Executive Director, 21st Century Wilberforce Initiative
- Prisoners of Conscience – 11:35 am – 12:30 pm
Panelists will highlight projects advocating for prisoners of conscience. Moderated by Commissioner Thomas Reese
- Defending Freedoms Project: Representative Randy Hultgren (R-IL), Co-Chair, Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission
- Panchen Lama and Gulmira Imin, China: Commissioner Tenzin Dorjee
- Pastor Andrew Brunson, Turkey, and Thich Quang Do, Vietnam: Vice Chairwoman Kristina Arriaga
- Pastor Nguyen Cong Chinh (in person), Vietnam: Commissioner Jackie Wolcott
- Taking Action for Prisoners of Conscience: Judith Golub
Plenary: Call to Action – 12:30 pm – 1:00 pm
Moderated by Commissioner John Ruskay
- The Honorable Frank Wolf
- Senator James Lankford (R-OK)
Closing: Chairman Daniel Mark
For a copy of the agenda, please click here.